All,

It seems that I could possibly pass the testing with a suppression device
between Line and Chassis (probably from Neutral to chassis as well).

Some experiments with TVS diodes that I have on hand have been promising.
However, the diodes can't stand up to the multiple surges. i.e.  I get passing
test results until the TVS diodes are reduced to a broken pile piece of
Silicon with all of its smoke let out.

I'm also concerned with leakage current.

My design already has a MOV from Line to Neutral; but I have heard that such
components are taboo from Line to Chassis or Neutral to Chassis.

Is there a "Y rated" TVS, MOV, Sidactor... out there?

I'm tempted to try some 4700pF Y caps that I have around to see if they'll
soak up the surge a little bit.

Chris Maxwell | Design Engineer - Optical Division
email chris.maxw...@nettest.com | dir +1 315 266 5128 | fax +1 315 797 8024

NetTest | 6 Rhoads Drive, Utica, NY 13502 | USA
web www.nettest.com | tel +1 315 797 4449 |

generation converters?  I have a design based on the Vicor "FARM"  (Filter And
Rectification Module) with two Vicor V300 series DC-DC converters behind it.

> I can't get this design through surge testing at 500V/250V, even though the
data sheets for all of the modules claim immunity to 2KV/1KV.  I'm not taking
issue with the data sheets, Vicor makes good stuff.  I just can't figure out
what's up with this design.

> I have followed the spec sheet protection recommendations to the letter.  I
have suspected the Corcom 6ED8 filter in front could be causing "ringing" of
the surge; but found that the failure occurs with or without the filter.

> The failure is very strange in that it:
> -Is load dependent.  It seems that a higher load makes failure more likely
> -It happens at a random time, up to 17seconds after the surge.
> -Is characterized by the FARM's enable signal (which controls the V300s
behind it) going low.
> -I can get some improvment (pass 500/250 but fail 1000/500) if I remove
chassis ground from the FARM heatsink.

> It almost seems as though the surge is passing through the FARM to its
grounded heatsink, along the way, maybe it is heating up some components,
perhaps this heat takes a little while to get to the FARM's thermal shutdown
circuit, which then dumps the enable signal   (I know, really far fetched.)