Kevin:

I understand the position you are in, several years ago when I was working for
Mitel Corporation, a customer asked us to test to an ESD specification that
they had written, it was unique for their location in the world. To have to
design a product to comply with such requirements when 99.9 percent of your
customers are satisfied with the test specifications seems un-warranted.

Many companies test to comply with international standards, others have their
own test specification that exceeds most if not all
specs. If you are testing beyond these standards yourself then this should be
a reasonable argument.

Test levels beyond 15-20KV should be sufficient. The human model various
slightly I believe depending on what manufacturer of ESD simulator you have.
Take a look at the Regulatory Approval for Technology web site
http://www.raft-global.org
Look for a presentation given on ESD June 2002 it will provide you with some
useful information.

Regards

Kevin Keegan