I read in !emc-pstc that Charles Grasso <cgrassospri...@earthlink.net>
wrote (in <ekeeipjkkmpklafoobmcoelhcfaa.cgrassospri...@earthlink.net>)
about 'Q on Correlation of Votage ripple with a Spectrum Analyser' on
Sat, 26 Jul 2003:

>Has anyone tried correlating the voltage ripple as seen on a scope with
>the amplitudes measured on a Spectrum Analyser?

More information, please. What voltage is it that has ripple on it? Do
you mean the ripple voltage across a rectifier filter capacitor?

>I tried doing that the other day with ..umm. minimal success. I think
>that due to the comples convoltions that would have to occur when
>FFT'ing an irregular voltage shape.

It's really no more difficult to FFT one waveform than another. The FFT
doesn't 'know' whether the waveform looks regular or irregular to a
human.

If it is power supply ripple that you are considering, the waveform is
approximately a sawtooth, but the short rising branch is a small section
of the crest of a sine wave. If the ripple voltage is very small
compared with the d.c. voltage and the ESR of the filter capacitor is
very low, the spectrum of the ripple is often quite close to that of a
sawtooth.
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!