Hi John:

>   >If the breakers are 230 V/16 A and 120 V/15 A, then
>   >the power distributed at 230 V is roughly twice that
>   >at 120 V.
>
>   But your '120 V' is also '240 V' for some equipment. Besides, I think I
>   was being 'generous'; electrical energy consumption per head in USA is
>   probably greater than in Europe.

In North America, the 240 V is supplied to high-power-
consumption equipment such as water heaters, electric
ovens, electric cook-tops, electric clothes dryers,
electric furnaces, and air conditioners.

The 240-V circuits are rated 20, 30, and 50 amps.

In North America, typical equipment is not rated for
use on 240 V, but 120 V.  While 240 V is supplied to
each home, use of 240 V for applications other than
those I mentioned, would require a special electrical
installation.  This is extremely rare.

So, you can't really consider North American 240 V
mains circuits in this discussion.  We don't.

*****

I do agree that electricity consumption per head in
North America is probably greater than in Europe.

Having lived in Spain, I believe that North American
appliances are bigger and therefore consume more
electricity.  Also, NA electrical appliances tend to
be less efficient than Euro appliances.  NA clothes
and dish washers use much more water than Euro
versions.

*****

Neither of these topics has anything to do with the
current available into a fault before the circuit
breaker operates.

Best regards,
Rich