From: brent.dew...@us.datex-ohmeda.com
[mailto:brent.dew...@us.datex-ohmeda.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 5:38 PM
To: Eric Penne
Cc: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org; owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Re: Monitoring Random ESD events

If you can get near the sensors (1 inch), 3M makes a static field meter.
Their Model 718 is a non-contact device and has an analog output
proportional to the field for logging.

Best of luck,

Brent DeWitt

                    "Eric Penne"

                    <epe...@ieee.org>             To:
<emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org>
                    Sent by:                      cc:

                    owner-emc-pstc@majordom       Subject:
Monitoring Random ESD events
                    o.ieee.org

                    08-07-03 02:38 PM

                    Please respond to "Eric

                    Penne"

I'm pretty new to the EMC scene and I need to monitor a product to see
what kind of ESD events it generates on its own.  The customer wants me
attach my oscope to their sensors and see what kind of ESD voltages
their
sensors see in daily operation.

I know that I don't want to directly connect the oscope to the sensors
while the machine is running.  I was trying to figure out a way to
"isolate" the signals on the sensors from the oscope but still get a
value
that is useful.  I was thinking of some sort of current loop around the
sensor wires.  How would I correlate the current loop measurement to an
ESD voltage?

I'm probably not providing enough information but I'm not really sure
what
information will be needed.

Thank you,
Eric Penne