I would be VERY wary of any lab-orginated certificates of the type Lothar
describes, for several reasons:

a) The directives clearly put the DoC responsibility on the manufacturer or
the EC importer (as appropriate), and the test lab is almost certainly not one
of those in the  vast majority of cases.

b) All the CE Marking directives (not just the EMC) require technical  files
containing a good deal of supporting information on the manner in which the
equipment is designed and manufactured - not just how it was tested for
certification purposes.

A test lab would almost certainly not have such data, but even if it did
obtain the data from the actual manufacturer, it would most certainly not be a
position to apply the required design and manufacturing controls necessary for
ensuring on-going compliance. Not even routine 3-monthly factory inspections
such as performed by the North American NRTL's can totally ensure that because
it is very-much a "day-to-day", "hands-on" task. Like a number of the
contributors to this forum I know this because I have "been there, done that"
on quite a few occasions (and am in a position to help anyone who needs
assistance to get their own house in order).

John Allen, Technical Consultant
EMC and Safety Engineering
ERA Technology Ltd.
Cleeve Road