Group,

Thank you all for the information.

I got it !

RH

From: Sam Davis [mailto:sda...@ptitest.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 10:24 AM
To: Reginald Henry; emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: RE: Safety Standards Comparison

60950 (IEC or EN) is a safety standard for Information Technology Equipment
(ITE).  It is the standard for evaluation of a piece of ITE equipment for
electric shock, energy hazards, fire hazards, radiation hazards, chemical
hazards, and mechanical hazards.

60529 (IEC or EN) is the ingress protection standard.  It is a test standard
which enclosures are tested for the extent to which they protect against
personnel access, dust access, and water access in various environmental
conditions.

They are not comparable, they are complementary.  Say you've got an outdoor
computer.  The outdoor concerns, such as rain and dust, could be evaluated
to 60529, where the electrical safety concerns inherent to computers (shock,
fire, etc.) would be evaluated to 60950.

Hope this helps.
Sam
---
Sam Davis