Group,

After quite a struggle to get a product through conducted immunity
tests (clamp method), I finally discovered that the weak link in the
chain was in fact my laboratory power supply which I have been
taking along with me to a nearby test house.

The problem remained undetected for a number of reasons, not
least that I had used the same setup before at a different test
house using their PSU ( Solartron ASxxx) and had better results,
but mostly because we were using a small chamber dedicated to
conducted immunity tests and using a camera to monitor the
behaviour of the EUT behind closed doors and not keeping an eye
on the PSU.

When we eventually tracked the anomalous behaviour of the
EUT to the PSU, we tried LISNs and a different PSU both of
which improved the test results significantly but the outcome
was still not good enough from a product compliance point of
view.

Question 1: Is anyone aware of a power supply suitable for
this type of testing? The EUT draws a maximum of 30mA
at 12VDC. I have been unable to find any Solartron PSUs on
the web; probably long discontinued.

Question 2: Has anyone tried to build a filter for this sort of
thing and would this be the way to go?

Best regards

- Chris Chileshe
- Ultronics Ltd