From: don_borow...@selinc.com [mailto:don_borow...@selinc.com]
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 8:44 AM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Re: Using a network analyser for EN61000-3-2 6 testing

When I think of a network analyzer, I think of a device that injects a
signal into a network, and then receives the signal after processing by the
network using a receiver tuned to the original frequency. This type of
network analyzer rejects harmonics.

There are some inexpensive "network analyzers" that use broadband
detectors. These detectors receive the total signal coming out of the
network, fundamental and harmonics.

I know that Agilent Technologies (and probably others) now make network
analyzers that can be configured to not only receive the fundamental of the
excitation, but can be set to receive harmonics and offset frequencies (for
testing mixers).

I don't see what the advantage of using a network analyzer would be, unless
there is some information to be gained by knowing the phase of the
harmonics.

Don Borowski
Schweitzer Engineering Labs
Pullman, WA

             lfresea...@aol.co
             owner-emc-pstc@ma         emc-p...@ieee.org
             jordomo.ieee.org                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
             09/07/03 04:10 PM         Using a network analyser for
                                       EN61000-3-2 6 testing

             Please respond to
             lfresea...@aol.co

Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone had looked into using a network analyser for
measuring current harmonics?

I have an analyser that will go down to 5 Hz, it seems a perfect instrument
for this.

Thoughts welcome.

Thanks,

Derek Walton.