You will have noted in IEC 60950-1 Clause 4.2.5 Impact Test, that it states
"the test is not applied to flat panel displays or to the platen glass of
equipment (for example, copying machines)".

The waiver for flat panel displays appeared in the third edition of IEC
60950 - some time ago I trawled back through all my IEC committee papers
trying to find the justification for this change - but couldn't find
anything. I spoke to some committee members who seemed to think it was
included because LCDs couldn't withstand the impact test !

The real issue, however, is whether there is a hazard in the LCD display
that requires a degree of protection. I am aware of 2 possible hazards :
High voltage present at the lamps within the LCD. In all the LCDs we use in
our Automated Teller Machines (ATMs), I perform the limited current test and
prove that the circuitry used meets the requirements for a limited current
circuit. I would also conduct a short circuit test on the driver circuit for
the lamp(s) - usually an oscillator feeding thru a transformer - but
typically the power output is so low that the oscillator shuts down when a
short is applied to the output transformer.

The second possible hazard might be considered to be the chemicals present
in the LCD. This has been the subject of some debate, the conclusion (based
on information from LCD suppliers) being that there is no chemical hazard
present. If you want any further details, let me know and I can probably
recover something from my files.

Regards,

John Crabb,  (Product Safety) ,
NCR  Financial Solutions Group Ltd.,  Discovery Centre,
3 Fulton Road, Dundee, Scotland, DD2 4SW
E-Mail :john.cr...@scotland.ncr.com