From: Joseph Randolph [mailto:j...@randolph-telecom.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2003 11:37 PM
To: 'Ken Javor'; emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: RE: metallic coatings

Hi Ken:

Conductive coatings are tricky, and I generally try to avoid them.  It
can be difficult to get good electrical connections at the separations
where different parts of the box meet, unless the mating surfaces have
been specifically designed for the purpose.  Even so, the contact
quality can deteriorate over time with some materials.  Worse yet, some
coatings have a tendency to peel as they age.  I would think these
limitations would be even more of an issue for military environmental
conditions.

I don't know the background of your request, but if this is being
contemplated as a band-aid for an EMC problem, you may want to pursue
other fixes such as circuit board revisions.

If you really do need some shielding but want to avoid the coatings, you
might consider a stamped steel insert made out of thin sheet metal that
conforms to the inside contours of the plastic box.  There are also some
shielding constructions where a conductive film is bonded to a
non-conductive substrate that can be die stamped and then folded to fit
around the circuit board inside the plastic housing.

Joe Randolph
Telecom Design Consultant
Randolph Telecom, Inc.
781-721-2848 (USA)