The follows text are from R&TTE annex VII

3. The CE marking must be affixed to the product or to its data plate.
Additionally it must be affixed to the
packaging, if any, and to the accompanying documents.

In my esperience is better have CE mark on the carton also to not oblige the
autority to open the box for see if a goods have the CE marks or not.
I Italy customs is the first barrier and have the autority to stop a unmarked
goods.
Ciao
Paolo

Paolo Gemma

Siemens Mobile Communications  S.p.A.

SMC PG MW ST EMC & Safety

SS Padana sup. KM 158 20060 Cassina de' Pecchi (MI) Italy

phone +39 02 9526 6587    fax +39 02 9526 6375

mobile +39 348 3690185

e-mail paolo.ge...@siemens.com