Jeff Chambers writes:

>> This removes the 'line of sight' gap into the enclosure. Does this
improve the attenuation? Intuitively it should, but if the leakage occurs
because of the interruption in shielding
conductivity and hence current flow at the seam, it won't. <<

I've run into this misapprehension before, and I agree with you that the RF
leakage occurs due to a difference in potential across the seams (and a
resultant current flow).  You can easily demonstrate this and get people to
stop trying it.  However, at a sufficiently high frequency, the overlap
acts as a waveguide terminated in an open circuit, and leakage will from
that point vary cyclically as the waveguide mode matches or does not match
the radiating configuration.  The only reason it's beyond "line-of-sight"
here, is that light is absorbed. Make the lid and cabinet really good
mirrors, and light can be reflected around the aperture.

Cortland