From: John Woodgate [mailto:j...@jmwa.demon.co.uk]
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 2:19 AM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Re: Does anyone system test PCs anymore? - Q on new procedures

I read in !emc-pstc that Cortland Richmond <72146....@compuserve.com> wrote
(in <200311131630_mc3-1-5a13-7...@compuserve.com>) about 'Does anyone system
test PCs anymore? - Q on new  procedures' on Thu, 13 Nov
2003:

>Can a monitor purchased from an OEM have a company label slapped on it
>and sold WITHOUT the company testing  it in a system? <<

For Europe, there is no legal compulsion to test: the legal position is that
the DOC must be true.

>Looks like it!
>
>One of my EMI horror stories concerns a monitor I found could make a
>computer NEXT to it, not even turned on, exceed the Part 15 conducted
>emission limit. It had an FCC ID, too. Good thing we tested. Nowadays,
>though, if it comes with a DoC, you need not test it.

Telling us here won't have any effect. If you are concerned about
violations, tell the regulatory authority.

>Oversimplifying only a little, it looks like one can now market a
>computer system without testing ANY of its components as long as the
>parts of it were once tested, somewhere, at labs the FCC could believe.

Wouldn't wash in Europe. CE + CE != CE expect in a few specific cases, such
as custom control boards for electrical machines.

>I see a national computer chain is selling computers with plastic
>covers
>so you can see what you paid for. Hear it, too, no doubt.

OTOH, some reputable IT manufacturers are marketing desktop computers not in
a complete conducting enclosure, so presumably it is possible to meet
emission and immunity limits without one.

http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!

This message is from the IEEE EMC Society Product Safety Technical Committee
emc-pstc discussion list.

Archive is being moved, we will announce when it is back on-line. All
emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at: