This is sort of off topic -- but it's on topic too. Some years ago, at a
now defunct computer manufacturer, customer complaints of memory
incompatibility lead us to purchase test equipment specifically designed to
evaluate memory cards. What we found was that, although different vendors
cards used the same chips, due to layout problems many of them were
incapable of achieving their rated speeds. This should of course have been
no surprise.  However, it cost us money!

It's reasonable to think that a memory which is on already on the edge of
returning faults will be more susceptible -- and make the product more
susceptible -- to ESD and EFT induced problems.  Depending on corporate
priorities, one might aim for a a robust product design to work with
anything a customer might stuff in it -- or specify WHICH manufacturers
memories will be  covered by the device warranty. That's cheaper up front,
and the way things are done.

I will note that the marketing rationale for placing a CE mark on
components which may be installed by the public could well extend even to
resistors. I await the CE-marked, LVD and EMCD tested, zero volt, zero ohm
chip resistor.

Brussels is the necessity of invention.

Ad astra per aspirin.

Cortland

Doug Massey posted

I still think that a sound, defensible engineering rationale can be made
to support the case that a memory stick does little to affect the
immunity characteristics of a desktop PC. I reluctantly agree that it
could POSSIBLY (not likely) affect the unintentional emissions of a
desktop PC. I strongly agree that there are marketing and customer
confidence advantages to placing the CE Mark on such a device, even if
the requirements are somewhat unclear, and may have some 'wiggle room'
there. I totally agree that the most conservative course here is to
apply the EMCD in full. (did I encompass everybody's posts here?). And
as always, if in doubt, TEST!! <<