Hello Chengwee:

>   Whether customer can accept his adaptor with only 1500Vac hipot tested
where
>   other power supplies can withstand 3000Vac?

This is an interesting question as it implies
that the higher the withstand voltage the better
the unit.  The statement may even imply that a
double-insulation scheme provides a better
safeguard against electric shock than does a PE
scheme.

In fact, the two schemes provide equal protection
against electric shock.  There is no *inherent*
advantage of one over the other.

The 1500-volt withstand value is derived from
the normally-occuring mains-to-earth overvoltages
plus margin.  In other words, the 1500-volt test
represents an acceptable insulation that will not
fail when subjected to mains-to-earth overvoltage.

The 3000-volt withstand value is derived from
testing two 1500-volt insulations in series.  The
3000-volt test tells us that the two insulations,
as a system, are acceptable, assuming that the
voltage divides equally across each insulation.
(The two insulations will never see overvoltages
as high as 1500 volts.)

There is no inherent advantage to a unit that
passes a 3000-volt withstand test versus a unit
that passes a 1500-volt withstand test.  The only
thing that the 3000-volt withstand test tells us
is that the double-insulation system is intact.

If I recall correctly, Raymond Li said that the
unit in question passes 3000 volts primary-to-
secondary, fails 3000 volts primary-to-earth,
but passes 1500-volts primary-to-earth.

This tells us that both the basic insulation and
the double insulation are acceptable.

>   Would that affect his customer Safety testing, because his customer unit
>   with his power supply only meet 1500Vac hipot after heating test?

If the customer wants double-insulation throughout
the unit, then the adapter is unacceptable.

If the customer wants a unit that is certified to
a safety standard, then the adapter is acceptable.

>   Or what if Safety agency require his customer unit to do grounding test to
>   accessible metal part?

Based on Raymond Li's description and on my own
experience, I believe there should be no problem
passing the production-line grounding test at
25-amperes.

*****

Despite the preceding comments, such an adapter
should easily pass double-insulation requirements
between primary and ground, and between primary
and secondary.  In my experience, adapters designed
to IEC 60950 can easily achieve more than 4500 V
rms withstand.  And, they can easily achieve 25
amperes dc-to-PE.

So, I am a bit disturbed that the unit does not
pass 3000 V rms to earth.  This says to me that
there is a clearance within the unit that does not
meet the IEC 60950 requirements.  I would further
guess that the clearance is likely to be an
operator-dependent clearance that is determined
during the assembly of the unit.  (The IEC 60950
clearance dimensions are quite conservative, and
should not break down below about 5000 V rms.)

Best regards,
Rich