Bill et al,

IMO there is no easy answer to the problem of one area of test
provoking design changes affecting another area of test.  A diverse
product line, such as individually sold PC cards and a line of
complete systems, would call for a different approach as needs demand
(often cost considerations come first).

I don't think you were concerned over loss of a sample (by
catastrophic damage).  But, safety usually includes fault testing
that could render a sample damaged beyond repair (even though it
might pass safety).  Even a successful repair of the sample could
hide component stresses that could bias the EMC test results.

I prefer to test in parallel with two or more samples so fixes can be
weighed together.  (Of course the cost considerations must be
reasonable.)  Though as I've encountered just asking for more samples
can be impractical when each sample - of even a small PC card - are
difficult to get.  (Prototypes are sometimes difficult to build prior
to having automated processes in place.)  Or the case when the
project manager wishes to share all prototypes with customers or
other parties.

Further, I counseled designers to also avoid mixing common
environmental test samples with those for EMC tests.  (Such as
temperature/humidity.)  The concern to me was the potential for a
latent failure to bias the results of another test phenomena.  On
this point the most experienced engineers tended to agree, not
wishing to fix a problem any more complex than mere EMC failures
alone.

My paranoia can run deep though, and just considering that prototypes
are often assembled/placed by hand lowers my confidence that each EMC
or safety sample represents production.  The answer here is (when
possible) keeping the prototype secured for future comparison, and
conducting audits of production samples.

My experience in this area was with commercial test and
measurement/control equipment, largely card level and portable mains
powered systems, under ENs 61326 for EMC with 61010-1 (UL 31X1) for
safety.

Best Regards,
Eric Lifsey

Visit our web site at:  http://www.ieee-pses.org/