*From:* Generic Office of Engineering Technology
[mailto:oet...@fccsun27w.fcc.gov]
*Sent:* Monday, May 14, 2007 11:06 AM
*To:* Douglas, Scott
*Subject:* Response to Inquiry to FCC (Tracking Number 377474)

*Inquiry:*
When is an FM Receiver considered a computer peripheral? If an FM
receiver has an RS-232 port and a USB port, is it a peripheral?
The RS-232 port can be connected to a remote controller to turn the
receiver on and off, change functions from receiver input to CD player
input, change volume levels, etc. The USB port is used to upload patches
and updates for the receiver''s software. It may also be connected to a
computer to play audio files. The receiver is capable of operating with
nothing connected to either port.

Questions:
1:  Is this type of receiver considered a computer peripheral?
2. Does it require an FCC ID be placed on the product?
3. Which label needs to be applied to the product? That in 15.19(a)(1)
or 15.19(a)(3)?

*Response: *
An FM broadcast receiver with an RS-232 or USB port is a receiver
subject to verification and a Class B computer peripheral subject to
Certification or Declaration of Conformity (DoC) under Part 15.  As a
receiver it must be identified per Section 2.954 and labelled per
Section 15.19(a)(1).  As a computer peripheral authorized under the
Certification procedure, it must also be labelled with the FCC ID per
Section 2.925 and the statement in Section 15.19(a)(3).  If it is
authorized as a computer peripheral under the DoC procedure, it must be
labelled per Section 15.19(b)(1)(i) and Section 15.19(a)(3)..

Do not reply to this message. Please select the Reply to an Inquiry
Response <https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/kdb/index.cfm> link from
the OET Inquiry System to add any additional ! information pertaining to
this inquiry.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
     Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org