Hi Brian:

> Is it valid to assume that RF effects at the ionic level will
> result in physiological effects at the system level ?

The short answer is "yes."

Ionic balance is an important measure of
the quality of health.  Here is a very
brief explanation of one effect of ionic
imbalance:

http://www.nutrition.arizona.edu/nsc101/CHAP08/Movies/08-05-Ionic%20Balance.
wmv

The video shows that ionic imbalance will
cause an abnormal distribution of water in
tissue.

Some authorities assert that electrical currents,
including small values such as leakage current,
can cause ionic imbalance in some individuals,
especially near the contact points.  For some
individuals, ionic imbalance is debilitating.

This is a medical question, not an
engineering question.  For further
information, I suggest talking to your
doctor or other medical authority.