HI Charlie,

you point out one of the problems in EMI testing that always plagued us. The
response by some has been to levy all sorts of controls on the measurement.
While this has enabled a more accurate measurement, it hasn't improved
correlation one bit.

The whole premise of EMC measuring is full of holes, some are addressed with a
huge effort, the rest are gaping. A friend once said to me it's like measuring
with a vernier gauge and hitting with a sledge hammer.

If you want to do EUT comparisons, you must have identical sites: ground plane
size, edge termination, tables, masts, antennas, cables, instruments, software
and people. Finally, and critically, the EUT MUST be set up exactly the same,
with power derived from the same impedance.

Take a simple example of NSA on a ground plane, the criteria is +/- 4 dB. On
two different sites the NSA may read up to 8 dB different at the same frequency
and both sites comply. I'm not sure  you can quantify exactly what that would
do to your results, but I'm sure the variation will show itself in your results.

Forget the SA/Receiver argument, different antennas offer just as much if not
more variation. I'd look more to the test software, EUT set up and the
operators technique.

Sincerely,

Derek Walton
L F Research