From:   "Price, Edward" <ed.pr...@cubic.com>
To:     <don_borow...@selinc.com>, <EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
Date:   12/01/2011 08:06 AM
Subject:        RE: [PSES] Quasi-peak

Don:

I think that the ?spread spectrum clock? works because of both the
receiver bandwidth and the detector function.

For instance, imagine a pure CW clock signal, and it is being hopped
around in 1 kHz steps, all in the range of 10 kHz. Now imagine that a
receiver with a 1 MHz resolution bandwidth is watching that signal. The
indicated amplitude will be the same with Peak, QP & Average detectors.
Because the hopping is always within the receiver bandwidth, the hopping
has no effect. As the hopping stays within the receiver BW, each detector
has plenty of time to reach the full amplitude of the signal.

Now imagine that a hop starts well outside the RBW; the receiver sees
nothing. Then the clock hops into the RBW, and each detector starts
charging. Fifty microseconds later, the clock hops out of the RBW. You
look at the three detectors, and the Peak reads, say 1.0. The QP might
read 0.1, and the Average might read 0.0. The difference was all about how
long the receiver had to observe the signal; all detectors ?saw? the same
amplitude signal, but they could only report what their time constants
allowed.

Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com     WB6WSN
NARTE Certified EMC Engineer
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Applications
San Diego, CA  USA
858-505-2780
Military & Avionics EMC Is Our Specialty

http://product-compliance.oc.ieee.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net>