From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of John
Woodgate
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 10:21 AM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Re: Fw: resend environmental quotation.

In message
<of5d189f68.412bb4e0-on85257441.0044356c-85257441.004c0...@lexmark.com>,

dated Tue, 6 May 2008, oover...@lexmark.com writes:

>A quote from the article:
>   "And she has a quality scientists try to cultivate: she is
>skeptical.
>   Has someone made a claim? She wants to see the data."

Yes, it's an easy demand to make. But collecting the data in a
statistically rigorous way may be a USD 1 billion project. Especially
this one - global warming.

I think it's widely accepted that Gore was misled. Government ministers
are encouraged to think that they can deal with any subject, whether
they have any significant background in it or not, simply because they
are intelligent (well, most of them) and know how to distinguish fact
>from fiction. But they CAN'T do that with complex scientific subjects,
especially when the scientists themselves violently disagree. The Royal
Navy found that out - there were agonies over realizing that a ship's
captain simply could not have total authority over the technical
departments of the ship.

Nevertheless, it IS getting warmer. Either we are causing it, and can do

something about it, or it's happening without us and we almost certainly

can't stop it. You choose.
Murphy's Law has now been officially re-named The Certainty Principle

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

     Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
     Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org

     David Heald:            emc-p...@daveheald.com