Doug Powell wrote on 04/22/2008 11:57:13:
> I am searching for a resource that details standard utility voltages,
world-wide. I already have Electric
www.ita.doc.gov/media/Publications/blurbs/current2002blurb.html>
<http://www.ita.doc.gov/media/Publications/blurbs/current2002blurb.html>
<http://www.ita.doc.gov/media/Publications/blurbs/current2002blurb.html>
<http://www.ita.doc.gov/media/Publications/blurbs/current2002blurb.html>
http://www.ita.doc.gov/media/Publications/blurbs/current2002blurb.html
> ; but this resource only has commercial/industrial power and does not
discuss the higher voltages of
> substations and other generating stations.

Hi Doug,
Sorry for the late reply and also if anyone already made the same comment but:

IEC 60038, "IEC Standard Voltages" states that it addresses transmision,
distribution as well as utilization voltages.  I have seen a copy of the 1983
edition (amendment 1, 1994). There is a 1997 amendment which I have not seen.

It looks like an attempt to encourage standardisation. The preface indicates
it was not adopted unanimously. I don't know to what extent utilities actually
comply with it, but it could be a starting point.

Table I is for 100 to 1000V. Table 2 is for traction systems.

Table III is for 1 kV to 35 kV, table IV is for 35kV to 230 kV, and table V
for 245 kV to 1200 kV.

I notice that table I (standardising on 230V/400V for 50 Hz systems) does seem
to have been adopted, in EU at least.

PS: (drifting off the original question), under Table I, there is an
interesting statement, after noting that the SUPPLY voltage (i.e., as
delivered to the customer by the utility) should not vary by more than +/-10%
of the nominal,

"For the utilization voltage range, in addition to the voltage variations at
the supply terminals, voltage drops may occur within the customer's
installations. For low-voltage installations, this voltage drop is limited to
4 %, therefore the utilization voltage range is +10 %, -14%. This utilization
range should be taken into account by Product Committees."

I know that some product designers only allow for the 10% tolerance from the
utility, and do not make any allowance for volt drops within the building. In
large industrial buildings, the product may be installed a long way from the
utility connection point.

Regards,
Glyn Garside
message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc
discussion list. Website: http://www.ieee-pses.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org

For policy questions, send mail to: