I’m trying to specify casters (wheels) for a 900 lb instrument (408kg).  The
EN61010-1 safety standard doesn’t really cover this safety aspect. In our
case, if one of the casters breaks the machine could tip over and cause injury.

Currently our mechanical people are looking at four casters rated 296 lbs
each.  I know if you roll the machine on an uneven floor all the weight can
momentarily be on two or three casters which would exceed the weight limit.
Is there a margin built into the caster rating to account for this situation?
Is there a formula to use for calculating the distributed weight across the
casters/wheels?

It would seem logical to me that the wheels would not have to be rated any
higher than ½ the total weight. Is there a standard for this?

The only thing in the standard that I can find that is close is for handles
which have to be rated 4 times the weight of the equipment.  That would seem
to be very over-kill in this case.

Thanks to all for your help.

The Other Brian.

_________________________

LECO Corporation Notice: This communication may contain confidential
information intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you received this by
mistake, please destroy it and notify us of the error. Thank you.
message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc
discussion list. Website: http://www.ieee-pses.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org

For policy questions, send mail to: