John,

Thanks for the perspective.

Just so I have an example of how it might be done (not that DE law parallels
UK) can you tell me how BS 7671 is linked to UK law (such as an SI requiring
it)?

In the US the NEC (aka NFPA 70) is adopted a various legislative levels. It
might be by the state, or it might be by the city. Usually it is a rev
dependent adoption, so some cities/states have older version of the NEC as
"law."  Absent adoption of the NEC some cities/states ensure safety at the
discretion of an electrical inspector or some other provision.

Regards,
Lauren

The content of this message is Applied Materials Confidential.  If you are not
the intended recipient and have received this message in error, any use or
distribution is prohibited. Please notify me immediately by reply e-mail and

Save paper and trees!  Please consider the environment before printing this
e-mail.

John Woodgate <j...@jmwa.demon.co.uk>
Sent by: emc-p...@ieee.org

08/14/2008 12:41 PM To
emc-p...@ieee.org
cc
Subject
Re: VDE 0100-530 & RCD type AC

In message
<of862d497c.88c563c6-on862574a5.00510c78-862574a5.00543...@amat.com>,
dated Thu, 14 Aug 2008, lauren_cr...@amat.com writes:

>I am struggling with a claim that "German Law" does not allow "type AC"
>RCDs (Residual Current Devices) in industrial machinery.
[snip]
>I suspect that VDE 0100 plays a role much like the NEC in the US, and
>that it does not constrain industrial machinery (just as the NEC has
>section 670 pointing to NFPA 79 for industrial machinery). So even if
>VDE 0100-530 does have the suggested prohibition of Type AC RCDs it is
>not clear that this should apply to machinery.

This is a rather too-frequent problem that arises with the various
European national implementations of IEC 60364. The level of
'harmonization' is fully in line with the most outré current classical
music.

But I think that all their specific provisions apply exclusively to
**the electrical installations in buildings**, except that they have
some 'motherhood and apple pie' statements about equipment, just to
prove that the issuing authorities are indeed sole rulers of the
Universe.

In the UK version (BS 7671), the relevant text (in the 16th edition - I
don't yet have the 17th) is Regulation 110-04-01:

The Regulations apply to items of electrical equipment only so far as
selection and application of the equipment in the installation are
concerned. The Regulations do not deal with requirements for the
construction of prefabricated assemblies of electrical equipment, which
are required to comply with appropriate specifications.

You probably have to look at the corresponding text in VDE 0100 to see
if it is equivalent or more restrictive.
Either we are causing global warming, in which case we may be able to stop it,
or natural variation is causing it, and we probably can't stop it. You choose!

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

    Scott Douglas           emcp...@ptcnh.net
    Mike Cantwell           mcantw...@ieee.org

    David Heald:            emc-p...@daveheald.com

message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc
discussion list. Website: http://www.ieee-pses.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org

For policy questions, send mail to: