I agree with both Ted and Conan.  It most likely is a hoax, but it fits the
topic.  In Fact, I am quite sure it is a hoax.

John

________________________________

From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Boyle, Conan
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 10:45 AM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: RE: RF What-if (was: RE: Another Cancer Scare?)

Fun to watch, but a hoax.

http://www.snopes.com/science/cookegg.asp

Regards,

Conan

________________________________

From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Ted Eckert
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 9:44 AM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org

It is an interesting video, but it could easily have been staged.  The view
under the table was blocked and we are presented with only a narrow view of
events seen through the camera's lens.

It would be easy enough to run and document a scientific experiment.  I doubt
you will find any such experiment on the web or anywhere else.  The whole
concept seems a bit outlandish.  Put a few kernels of corn in a microwave oven
and you will find that it takes much longer.  Am I to believe that a 1000 watt
oven designed to contain the energy within a fixed space has more trouble
popping corn than a few low power cell phones can do in open space?  Am I to
believe that a cell phone can pop corn within seconds yet causes no noticeable
heating to my hand when I hold it when it rings?

The amount of energy required to raise the water in one kernel of corn to
boiling is very low.  It takes only 418 mW to raise one milligram of water 100
degrees Celsius.  However, the actual energy reaching a kernel of corn from
the cell phone is going to be far less than that.  The phone's energy is not
concentrated in one direction.  It is interesting to me that the cell phones'
antenna tips are pointed at the corn even though that is not the direction
that the most energy would be radiated.

This appears to be a well staged hoax but nothing more.

Ted Eckert

The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my
employer.