        From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Grace
Lin
        Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 6:59 AM
        To: emc-p...@ieee.org
        Subject: Re: EN 62133

        Dear Members,

        Thank you very much for those who have helped.  This is a great
community
especially to a novice.  Members answered my next question, "What is the EU
requirements for batteries?"

        Effective November 20, 2008, Japan regulates certain types of batteries
(lithium ion batteries with exceptions, I believe), have to comply with the
Electrical Appliance and Material Safety Law.  Batteries are Category B
equipment.  Standards listed are:

        1. JIS C8712 (2006)
        2. UL 1642 (Fourth Edition)
        3. UL 2054 (Second Edition)
        4. Recommendations on the Transport of Dangerous Goods, Manual of Tests
and
Criteria, Fourth revised edition, United Nations

        According to the web site of Japanese Standards Association (JSA), JIS
C8712
(2006) is IEC 62133:2002 modified.  My experience is that a DS/EN standard is
cheaper than an IEC standard.  Sometime I am able to locate the difference
between EN and IEC standards from EN harmonized standards per essential
requirements.  I downloaded the Battery Directive.  The Directive doesn't talk
about anything regarding electrical performance.  JSA sells JIS C8712 in
Japanese.  I guess I have to order a copy of JIS C8712 and IEC 62133.

        Best regards,
        Grace