Peter,

Following on from Nick's response, he is correct in stating that the
device should be easily actuated. In some jurisdictions, like Ontario,
Canada where I am located, the regulations go on to say that the
emergency stop devices should be located "within easy reach" of the
operator when they are in the "normal operating position", in other
words, at the intended work stations. This would not cover the
situation that you are describing, since the machine is in a service
mode, not normal operating mode.

To cover this condition, my first recommendation is to carry out a job
hazard analysis, basically a risk assessment, of the work that the
service operator is expected to do. Include specific conditions where
power may be required on the equipment for fault-finding or other
diagnostic activities. Once the hazards are identified and the risk
analyzed, the next question to address is "Will provision of an
emergency stop device provide the operator with the opportunity to
avoid or limit the harm that could occur?" If the answer is YES, only
then would I consider adding the emergency stop. It might be
worthwhile looking at using a pendant style of device, particularly if
the service operator will need to be able to jog the equipment. If
there are no conditions where power would be required during service,
then the use of lockout procedures and suitably located energy
isolating devices is the best solution.

By the way, it is important to understand that emergency stop systems
are NOT safeguarding devices, which is why they can have lower control
reliability requirements than safeguarding systems. They are
complementary protective systems. The difference is this: a
safeguarding device operates automatically, without any intentional
act on the part of the person being protected. For example, a pressure
relief valve is a safeguarding device because it will open
automatically in the event that the pressure behind it exceeds its
relief pressure. Likewise, a light curtain will act to stop the
protected equipment when the field is breached without the person
breaching the field doing anything intentional to stop the equipment.
An emergency stop device must be intentionally activated by someone in
order for anything to happen.

Lockout of energy sources is preferred over safeguarding systems which
are preferred over complementary protective devices.

I'm available to discuss this offline if you need more information.

--
Doug Nix, A.Sc.T.
IEEE PSES

d...@ieee.org