From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Grace Lin
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 12:17 PM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: Labeling Requirements per Industry Canada

Dear Members,

Could someone please advise if a marketing company is able to mark an Industry
Canada certified OEM product by using the manufacturer's (applicant's) IC
number and the marketing company's name and model number?

I excerpt Section 5.2 of RSS-Gen below for your convenience.

If yes for the above question, is there any procedure we or our OEM supplier
has to follow (permissive change, etc.) ?

Thank you and look forward to hear from you.

Best regards,

Grace Lin

"

All Category I radio equipment intended for use in Canada shall permanently
display on each transmitter, receiver, or inseparable combination thereof, the
applicant's name (i.e. manufacturer's name, trade name or brand name), model
number and certification number. This information shall be affixed in such a
manner as not to be removable except by destruction or defacement. The size of
the lettering shall be legible without the aid of magnification but is not
required to be larger than 8-point font size. If the device is too small to
meet this condition, the information can be included in the user manual upon
agreement with Industry Canada.

The label for medical implants which are designed to be used within the human
body, can be placed on the package and user manual.

The certification number is made up of a Company Number (CN) assigned by the
Bureau followed by the Unique Product Number (UPN), assigned by the applicant.

The certification number shall appear as follows:

"IC: XXXXXX-YYYYYYYYYYY"

Where:

*       "XXXXXX-YYYYYYYYYYY" is the certification number;
*       "XXXXXX" is the Company Number (CN) assigned by Industry Canada, made
of at
most 6 alphanumeric characters (A-Z, 0-9), including a letter at the end of
the CN to distinguish between different company addresses;
*       "YYYYYYYYYYY" is the Unique Product Number (UPN) assigned by the
applicant,
made of at most 11 alphanumeric characters (A-Z, 0-9); and
*       the letters "IC" have no other meaning or purpose than to identify the
Industry Canada certification number.

Permitted alphanumerical characters used in the CN and UPN are limited to
capital letters (A-Z) and digits (0-9). An example of the new format for a
company having a CN of "21A" and wishing to use a UPN of "WILAN3" would thus
be: IC: 21A-WILAN3. Each equipment model shall be explicitly identified. The
use of characters, such as #, / or -, in the certification number is not
allowed. The use of "wild card" characters in the model number (for the
purpose of identifying multiple models with one name) is not allowed.

Equipment that has received certification but is not labelled with the
applicant's name, model number and the certification number as outlined above
is not considered certified.

Category II equipment shall be labelled in accordance with the requirements of
RSS-310.

"

message is from the IEEE Product Safety Engineering Society emc-pstc
discussion list. Website: http://www.ieee-pses.org/

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas emcp...@ptcnh.net Mike Cantwell mcantw...@ieee.org

For policy questions, send mail to: