On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 20:18:11 -0700 (PDT),
  Bob Richards <b...@toprudder.com> wrote:

> and an Agilent N5182A in my workplace.<<<
>
> I have not done this procedure yet, but have read up on it some. I
> don't have a copy of the standard handy right now, but I believe one
> of the antennas (the one moved around the turntable) must be
> isotropic. A horn is not suitable. The reason, as I understand it, is
> that a horn will give results that do not test the back-wall absorber
> since it has a high front-back ratio. Someone correct me if I am
> wrong.  (ducking for cover.....) :-)

Well, the transmitting antenna must a near-omnidirectional
antenna which have beam pattern specified in CISPR 16-1-4.

Example of such antennas are:
  Schwarzbeck SBA9113 & SBA9112
  Seibersdorf Laboratories POD16

As Mr Richards says, reflections from back wall, and also that
>from side walls and floor and ceiling, may not be evaluated
enough if we use highly directional antennas for transmission.
I think the standard specifies required beam pattern to avoid
this problem, although the standard permit antennas which have
null backward, as we can see in the standard and, for example,
also in http://www.schwarzbeck.com/Datenblatt/RI9112H.pdf.

Receiving antenna should one that will be used for measurement
on the site, I guess that is 3117 in this case.
However, 3117 has relatively wide beamwidth at low frequencies
and maybe make it slightly difficult to achieve low SVSWR.

Regards,
Tom

--
Tomonori Sato  <vef00...@nifty.ne.jp>