Is it necessary to submit medical equipment to China if one has a CB report to
EN-60601 medical standards? Our customer, a large multinational, now wants to
enter China and reports that China safety standards wants higher water ingress
protection than their current North America and Western Europe standards –
and customers. We are running the tests ourselves at the moment but analysis
tells me that we will be able to meet the higher ingress levels with the
current design. Obviously we and they would like to keep the configurations
and technical files etc to remain constant. The most obvious way to do this is
to got to UL and request that they run the tests to accept the higher IPXX
rating and state that in the report and in the CB report. Then submit the new
reports to China and hopefully get approval based on that.

On the other hand if China isn’t going to accept the CB report there is no
reason to go to the expense updating these reports. We would simply submit the
product to China and control two paper only differences for the product line.

Obviously the first path is the least complicated in the long run – but
there isn’t much sense in spending the money twice UL/CB and then have to
repeat for China anyway.

By the way you might reasonably ask why a large multinational wouldn’t know
this already, me too but there you have it. In many many years I’ve never
had the need to import to China so I’m digging for answers.

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>