Scott:

I found the following NEMA Code Alert for Arizona, referring to the City of
Phoenix Code and discussing expanded ground fault and arc fault circuit
interruption protection.  The NEMA site talks about expanded GFCI and AFCI use
for most Phoenix residents, but the section on GFCIs and AFCIs tracks the 2008
National Electrical Code pretty well.  The only major deviation that I see is
an effectivity date of January 1, 2008 for combination-type AFCIs in bedrooms
per E3802.12. Otherwise, this article tracks the 2008 National Electrical Code
Article 210.12.

See the linked “Code Alert: Arizona, 29 May 2009” from NEMA on the City of
Phoenix Electrical Code.

http://www.nema.org/stds/fieldreps/codealerts/20090529az.cfm

Then, click on Phoenix Residential Code (link below):

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/Phoenix2006/Phoenix_IRC/residential_frameset.htm

Go down to “Chapter 38” on the left hand side, and click the link.  When
the PDF opens, look for Section E3802,

“Ground Fault and Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection.”

Best regards,

Don Gies, N.C.E

Senior Product Compliance Engineer

Alcatel-Lucent

Murray Hill, NJ  07974-0636 USA

Member, Alcatel-Lucent Technical Academy