        From: Ron Pickard <rpick...@hypercom.com>
        Subject: FDA/CDRH filing query
        To: "EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG" <EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG>
        Date: Monday, July 26, 2010, 5:02 PM

        Hello,

        Hopefully, this will be a quick query here to those familiar with the
FDA/CDRH requirements for laser products.

        There is some confusion with some colleagues about whether or not a
device needs to be submitted to the FDA/CDRH for approval when and even though
an FDA/CDRH approved Class II scan engine is integrated. However, I have
briefly read through the FDA/CDRH and CFR requirements in the past (FDA website
isn’t working right now so I can’t confirm) and am of the opinion that such
device approvals are indeed required with integrated Class II or higher laser
devices.

        But as one not intimately familiar with this process, I thought it best
to present this question to the experts. Please advise.

        I look forward to your replies.

        Best regards,

        Ron

emc-pstc discussion list. To post a message to the list, send your e-mail to
<emc-p...@ieee.org>

        All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at
http://www.ieeecommunities.org/emc-pstc
        Graphics (in well-used formats), large files, etc. can be posted to
that URL.

        List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

        Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

        Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
        David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html