That’s an interesting table, with some non-intuitive lessons. Platinum has
an emissivity of 0.07, while water is 0.96! Hmm, ice has 0.97. Wait a minute,
the table says all values of emissivity are taken at 300K. Are we talking
about ice-9 here?

In the past, I have found IR temperature measurements were confounded by the
small targets and wide spot sizes I was using. For instance, trying to measure
the thermal rise of a 1 mil diameter platinum wire across a background of
alumina, with a spot size of about 20 mils diameter. The detector would
integrate the temp of the low emissivity wire and the much higher emissivity
background, making the detection system fairly insensitive to the wire’s
temperature excursions.

Resolution was key to a good measurement, and I would love to see that
experiment done again, but this time with a resolution so fine that one entire
spot could be placed on just the wire. A thermal imaging camera ought to have
quite sufficient resolution.

In your example, a small difference in surface emissivity could easily make a
10C difference. I think you should put a dab of (I imagine they have a
special) paint on your target locations.

Ed Price

ed.pr...@cubic.com <blocked::mailto:ed.pr...@cubic.com>      WB6WSN

NARTE Certified EMC Engineer

Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab

Cubic Defense Applications

San Diego, CA  USA

858-505-2780

Military & Avionics EMC Is Our Specialty