From: Niels Hougaard [mailto:n...@bolls.dk]
Sent: Friday, June 18, 2010 8:42 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: [PSES] Surge test according to marine standard

Dear all,

According to test 18 of E10 of the document Concerning Electrical Installation
>from IACS (International Association of Classification Societies), surge test
is performed according to IEC 61000-4-5 (no year or edition mentioned). Both
line/earth and line/line.

In the E10 there is a reference to figure 10 of the standard for equipment
where power and signal lines are identical, which is the case in my situation.

Figure 10 of IEC 61000-4-5 1995 is test set-up for unshielded interconnection
lines, so that makes some sense.

But my cables are shielded, so my question is:

Does anybody know it the test should be performed to the shield, or to the
inner wires?

Regards, and thanks for any input,

Niels Hougaard

Niels Hougaard

Bolls Rådgivning

Ved Gadekæret 11F

DK-3660 Stenløse

Denmark

T: +45 48 18 35 66

F: +45 48 18 35 30

n...@bolls.dk <mailto:n...@bolls.dk>

www.bolls.dk <http://www.bolls.dk/>

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html