Good day all,

A while back I wrote about an electrically powered hydraulic pump that had
horrible radiated emissions. This is a brief update on what was found:

First, all motors of the same type exhibited similar noise.

Second, loading had some, but small effect on the noise.

Temperature had little or no effect on the noise.

The hydraulic pump was systematically inhibited until there were no moving
parts: no effect.

A second CE motor was used with similar results.

In desperation the motor was bolted to the bench horizontally to begin looking
into what could be happening and all noise ceased. It was rotated vertically
and all noise returned.

The motors, ALL motors including CE marked showed this effect. I don't have
the paperwork on the motor, but I'm sure there was no EMC testing done since
this was an induction motor.

So, I'd like to make folks aware that INDUCTION motors are NOT necessarily
noise free, and some evaluation should be made if you use them in anything
other than horizontal.

 <http://o.aolcdn.com/cdn.webmail.aol.com/31844/images/common/space.gif>
If anyone wants some of the graphs please let me know. If anyone has a cure
for this, I'd be very interested.

Sincerely,

Derek Walton
L F Research.

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>