--- On Wed, 4/7/10, ralph.mcdiar...@ca.schneider-electric.com
<ralph.mcdiar...@ca.schneider-electric.com> wrote:

        When we say '50uH/50 ohm LISN' are we referring to a device which
provides a
source impedance of 50 ohms over its frequency range or one that must be
terminated with 50 ohms?

The 50 ohms here refers to the impedance seen by the RF energy coming from the
EUT. In actuality, it is a nominal 50 ohms through most, but not all, of the
frequency range. There is a defined impedance curve specified by CISPR 16.
This impedance is provided in part by the termination at the measurement port.
The reason for having a defined impedance is for repeatability and correlation
between different measurement setups.

        Is it sufficient to terminate a cable in its characteristic impedance
at one
end only?

 No.

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>