In message <p06240812c7e2648316cb@[192.168.1.80]>, dated Wed, 7 Apr
2010, Nick Williams <nick.willi...@conformance.co.uk> writes:

>One the problems with which being that there are clearly many
>committees which do not understand the difference between 'normative'
>and 'informative'. This does not tend to be a problem with CENELEC
>standards but it's clear from many of the CEN standards I have seen
>that the authors did not understand that the normative references
>section should not simply be a bibliography of other 'useful' documents.

It IS a problem. The buck stops with the Technical Committee Secretary,
and even some of them clearly don't understand that a Normative
reference must be:

  a) actually referred to in the text of the standard;
and
  b) referenced *normatively*, not in a Note or as an informative side
remark, like 'See also....'.

The remedy, if you participate in standards work, even if only by
downloading FREE Drafts for Public Comment from BSI's web site, is to
include comments on incorrect normative references in your responses.
I should be disillusioned, but it's not worth the effort.

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>