In message
<d500012385dca64883637ab4ccf491e30134c...@ms-cda-02.advanced-input.com>,
"McInturff, Gary" <gary.mcintu...@esterline.com> writes
>They got to the end of the pass saw the trees and tried to pull up, but
>the software looked at the flight envelope and said no because the low
>airspeed meant that they were at a critical point on the flight
>envelope and raising the nose at that speed would put it too close to
>the stall point of the aircraft. I certainly wasn't involved in the
>crash investigation rather having just read this is some journal
>somewhere - so I certainly could have this wrong - but like I said - as
>I understand it.

Even so, if it is true, it shows that the software just wasn't
intelligent, or, more likely, informed enough to cope with the
situation. It didn't know about the trees, but if it did know, it should
have allowed a low-angle climb to clear them.

It must be a general principle that if a quasi-intelligent system does
not know a key fact, it may implement a dangerous sequence of actions.

What you don't know will kill you.
--
This is my travelling signature, adding no superfluous mass.
John M Woodgate

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>