        From: Pete Perkins <peperkin...@cs.com>
        Subject: RE: lables for Turkey
        To: "'Scott Xe'" <scott...@gmail.com>, "'peter merguerian'"
<pmerguerian2...@yahoo.com>, "'IEEE'" <emc-p...@ieee.org>, "'Jim LKnighten'"
<jim.knigh...@teradata.com>
        Date: Monday, February 1, 2010, 10:47 AM

        Scott,

            Turkey is an EU 'wannabe' as they want to join the EU.

            As with other countries that want to join in they need to work at
        the same level as the EU countries.  Of interest to us is that these
        countries implement the safety requirements from the EU and, of course,
        require the CE marking for any product brought into the country.  As
with
        the EU, customs is the inspection point for this.  They are looking for
the
        product CE marking and the MDoC; I have never run into an issue with the
        accompanying MDoC being provided in English.  As I remember, several EU
        wannabe's have been used German customs training to come up to speed on
this
        issue; so don't fall into the trap that they don't know what they are
        looking for.

            For anyone who is shipping into any EU/CE mark country for the first
        time (or irregularly) I recommend that the CE mark be applied on the
        shipping packaging so that the customs inspectors don't have to open the
        packaging to find it.  I also recommend that a signed copy of the MDoC
be
        included in the shipping papers so it is available during the customs
        review.  This approach has seemed to work well in most instances.

            You will have to deal with all the country specific issues for any
        of these countries also.  Language issues always come up.  For my
clients
        the units provided are either a one-off or small run of units.  The
clients
        push the language issues - translation, printing, etc - back onto the
        customer or their importer/representative who are then responsible for
        translating manuals and markings (as needed) and providing this with the
        units.  This helps get the needed level of effort properly applied for
the
        job being done.

            I have been helping machinery manufacturer's work thru this process
        for custom machines for more than 10 years.  You do run into some
        interesting questions that are raised by folks who are just getting into
        this.  When questioned, it's just best to provide a direct or indirect
        pointer to what the main EU countries do.  This usually resolves the
issue.

            Common sense is the best approach to resolving any of this.

            I'm sure that you will get a lot of good advice from this group on
        this subject.

        br, Pete

            Peter E Perkins, PE
            Principal Product Safety & Regulatory Consultant
            Tigard, ORe  97281-3427

            503/452-1201    fone/fax
            p.perk...@ieee.org <http://us.mc11
5.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=p.perk...@ieee.org>

emc-pstc
<emc-p...@ieee.org <http://us.mc1135.ma
l.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=emc-p...@ieee.org> >

        Graphics (in well-used formats), large files, etc. can be posted to
that URL.

        List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

        Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com <h
tp://us.mc1135.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=emcp...@socal.rr.com> >
        Mike Cantwell <mcantw...@ieee.org <htt
://us.mc1135.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=mcantw...@ieee.org> >

        For policy questions, send mail to:
        Jim Bacher:  <j.bac...@ieee.org <http:
/us.mc1135.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=j.bac...@ieee.org> >
        David Heald: <dhe...@gmail.com <http:/
us.mc1135.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=dhe...@gmail.com> >

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@socal.rr.com>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>