The method works quite well with testers designed using tapped transformers
or variacs and relay switching. With these units ac power is taken from the
local ac mains and generally not from an AC power source such as the
California Instruments. Measurements done by the tester manufacturers and by
companies using them can confirm that getting the proper in-rush current is
not a problem.

Some years ago, we had an engineer go through our building after hours and
measure available fault currents at wall sockets and he was able to get
currents well in excess of the standard requirements at most locations.

The problem with using most AC power sources for this standard is that many
are not capable of supplying the required in-rush currents and most can't do
the required 1 to 5us rise and fall times per section 6.1.1 "Characteristics
and performance of the generator".

By the way, most tester manufacturers have available units that contain the
capacitor needed to measure the in-rush currents. These are generally made
to plug in directly to the tester being tested, and some also have a BNC
output connector for connection to a scope.

Hope this is helpful. Maybe someone else can comment on AC power sources
that may have sufficient in-rush current capability.

Best Regards,

Mike Hopkins
EM Test
Amherst, NH