From: Ken Javor <ken.ja...@emccompliance.com>
To: Untitled <emc-p...@ieee.org>
Sent: Sat, December 19, 2009 12:13:27 PM
Subject: Re: [PSES] Emissions (now the STS O-ring debate)

I’m not a rocket scientist, so I can’t opine on the technique whereby they load
fuel and then attach solid rocket booster segments to each other. But the whole
idea of solid rocket boosters in the first place was to save cost: the cost of
boosting the Orbiter into low earth orbit on liquid fueled motors alone was
deemed unacceptable.  When you consider that a solid rocket booster (SRB) is
essentially a giant firecracker, in that once it’s lit it runs until it burns
out, and nothing on earth can control it, then you see that compromises with
respect to the safety of a fully controllable liquid rocket motor (as installed
on the Orbiter itself) were taken from the very inception of the design.

This is not a criticism at all; it is a simple recognition that cost vs. risk
tradeoffs are part of the very fabric of any manned space program, or any
product development for that matter.

I remain convinced, absent any deathbed confessions, that the managers who
signed off on launching the Challenger that January in 1986 felt they were
simply assuming one more risk, and one that did not significantly increase the
overall risk of the mission.  Obviously the decision was incorrect, and they
had been warned, but as I noted earlier, it was one more warning amongst the
myriad over the life of the program, and it was “lost in the noise”, they had
no way of discerning that this warning was real, as opposed to the many that
had been received and properly disposed of during the previous decade of
development and spaceflight.

Ken Javor

Phone: (256) 650-5261