On 3/25/2009, Don Umbdenstock wrote:

        I have perused the IEEE 802.3af explanation on various web sites and
examined
supplier specs.  I came to the conclusion that the injector should be LPS
certified and marked as such.  However, most of the injectors I have found by
web search do not indicate LPS.
        Does anyone believe that a PoE injector does not require LPS
certification?
If so, why not?

Hi Don:

I'm not certain what you mean by "LPS certification," but if you meant to ask
if the Ethernet side of the injector should be safety certified as a SELV
circuit, I believe the answer is yes.  For safety analysis per UL 60950 and
other similar versions of IEC 60950, the voltages that appear on an Ethernet
cable are generally considered to be SELV, whether or not the circuit has POE
provisions.

Joe Randolph
Telecom Design Consultant
Randolph Telecom, Inc.
781-721-2848 (USA)
j...@randolph-telecom.com
http://www.randolph-telecom.com <http://www.randolph-telecom.com/>

All emc-pstc postings are archived and searchable on the web at

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@ptcnh.net>

Jim Bacher <j.bac...@ieee.org>
David Heald <dhe...@gmail.com>