I would like to thank sincerely to all who responded, I appreciate it. I am not
going to react to any discussions on whether it is cheating or not :), it was
not anywhere in my mind when I posted the question and I hope this topic does
not degrade :).

But, I'd like to summarize a little:

1. I do care about the Pk measurements, not only about QP and Avg, because that
is in the specs I am dealing with (some automotive emission requirements)

2. I found out, as I suspected and was confirmed in some replies, that if I
change the modulating frequency up to over 20 kHz, then I see reduction with
100/120kHz RBW also, not only with 1kHz RBW . Hence, there is an effect of the
modulating frequency and the RBW combination on the measured Pk results.

3. SSC by using frequency modulation of the clock actually does reduce the peak
value. I have seen some replies saying it does not, and over many years I have
come across people who said the same. However, if you look in any textbook on
FM, you can see that - in the frequency domain - FM causes the power of the
carrier to be distributed into the side-bands, with the total power the same
with or without the modulation. Therefore, because the power power stays the
same, it must be that each of the components in the spectrum, i.e. the carrier
and the two side-lobes, must have a lower amplitude than the unmodulated
carrier. Please, do not confuse the individual amplitudes of individual
spectral components with the amplitude of the signal in the time-domain, which
indeed stays the same.

In case of a digital pulses, the "carrier" is the fundamental as well as each
of the harmonics.

Because of the above, and if you look with the infinitely small RBW (i.e. do
the math), SSC does indeed reduce the peak value of each harmonic (and
fundamental). BTW, the "speed" or modulating freqeuncy does not have a bearing
on the level of reduction of the peak values, in such an ideal case. Only the
modulatioin index (similar to "depth") is important, as it defines how much
power of the carrier is put into the side-lobes.

The issue I was facing was that under the test conditions of the EMC
specification I have to use a specified "wide" RBW . Under that condition, the
modulating frequency is important too - as I found out.

Best regards to all,

Neven

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html

Scott Douglas <emcp...@radiusnorth.net>