From: emc-p...@ieee.org [mailto:emc-p...@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Mcburney,
Ian
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 7:17 AM
To: emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: North American Energy Efficiency regulations

Dear Colleagues;

I require some clarification brought about by the Canadian NRCan energy
efficiency regulations for external power supplies (EPS).

The NRCan regulations appear to require mandatory third party verification
from a Standards Council of Canada (SCC) accredited certification
organisation.

The EPS must bear a verification mark indicating that it has been tested.
This mark may be an "Energy star" IV or a logo from an SCC accredited body.

On checking the Energy Star website to confirm the level IV limits I noticed
the Energy Star specifications for EPS were "sunset" on 31/12/2010. Please
accept my apologies for not keeping up to date; I know 2010 was a while ago.

My questions are;

is EPS verification by a SCC accredited organisation mandatory

and

with the "sunset" of the Energy Star specification for EPS, is the IV logo
still valid and if not what replaces it.

I realise this is not an EMC or safety question but my organisation
considers this a technical compliance issue which I suppose it is.

Many thanks in advance;

Ian McBurney

Design Engineer

Allen & Heath Ltd