See section 2.3 of the " Guide to the implementation of directives based
on the New Approach and the Global Approach" for guidance on "placing on
the market".  Here is a link:
http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/policies/single-market-goods/files/blue-g
uide/guidepublic_en.pdf

Couple other things to point out:

The 01-Jun-2012 60601-1 date in the EU is only for products not covered
by a particular (-2-xx) standard.  If a particular standard exists, it
takes precedence and drives the deadline in the EU.  Some are before the
01-Jun-2012 date and some are after.  You can see the dates in the OJ
here:
http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/policies/european-standards/harmonised-st
andards/medical-devices/

In the EU the date applies to any product "placed on the market" after
that date, whereas the 60601-1 implementation dates for the US & Canada
are based on new product registrations submitted (not for existing
products).  US is 30-Jun-2013 for all products under the scope of
60601-1 (not based on the particular standard).  Canada was 01-Jun-2012,
but recently came out with some guidance, which clarified the date.  The
date is either 01-Jun-2012 or 3 years following the date the 2-xx
particular standard was published, whichever is later.

Nick