Hi Brian:

> Related note - have been running long-term (day 22) test, inspired by
> another PSTC thread, where a unit is continually subject to
> 1500Vac D/E
> withstand. At irregular intervals, or until the boss tells me to stop
> wasting time, I remove the unit from hi-pot and perform IR
> measurement.

Some years ago, I did this same test.  (I turned off the
test overnight as I did not want a failure when no one
was present.)  The test ran about 2 weeks before I got
any results.  I describe the results as a "stutter" in
the test -- sometimes a pass, sometimes a fail.

Solid insulation failure usually starts with partial
discharge that gradually builds a small carbon path in
an insulation void, or between two sheets of insulation.
The carbon path can't handle much current, so the hi-pot
voltage will often burn the carbon path open, only to
grow again.  So, you get a fail (trip) and then test
again and get a pass -- for a while.  In some cases,
the current in the carbon path may not be high enough to
trip the hi-pot tester, in which case a before and after
IR test may give an idea of whether the insulation will
fail.

Maybe the IR tester will have much less current, and
allow the resistance measurement.

> Are there reasons why IR is not considered a 'standard' Type Test?

Depends on what your motives are.  When is an insulator
a resistor, and when is a resistor an insulator?  In
a past career, we worked with very high impedance, high-
voltage circuits.  The insulation resistance measurement
was very useful; the high-pot test was not so useful.

In safety, insulation is the principal safeguard against
electric shock.  The electric strength of the insulation
is the key parameter for preserving the insulation against
catastrophic failure (which would lead to electric shock).
The IR test is not so useful for predicting whether or
not the insulation is likely to fail.

Some safety proponents have pushed for partial discharge
testing as the measure of whether or not the insulation
will withstand the applied voltages without failure.  PD
testing is not easy, and requires sophisticated test
equipment.

Best regards,
Rich

List rules: http://www.ieee-pses.org/listrules.html