Hello,

I'm not really giving an opinion here, I'm just sharing some observations.

There have been a lot of conversations in Notified Body groups about this topic.

It's important to remember that the Directives (either the LVD or the R&TTED)
require that a device is safe and will not cause harm.   That's the basic
requirement.   The Directives are more important than the standards.
The standards are there to help you demonstrate that.   Though, they do provide
'presumption of conformity'.

I think the history of the scope of this document comes from a study that
personal portable music players present a safety risk.   Therefore, the
standard was created and references those devices.

As for other devices which put sound into your ear?   Well, that's the debate.
You still need to ensure that the device is not going to cause harm.

Some people say that the standard only covers portable music players and
therefore something like a laptop or tablet does not need to worry about it.
Other people say that it's easy to sit at your desk for 8 hours and listen to
music while you work, so therefore those devices should be assessed too.
Some say that a portable music player is a greater risk because you could walk
away from your desk and still be listening.
Some say that a laptop/tablet is a greater risk because many people sit at
their desk for longer than they walk around.

Ultimately, the standards are written based on a need that has been proposed to
(for example) CENELEC.

Regardless of what you think poses the greatest risk; if you sell a device that
allows people to listen to music, you are still responsible for being confident
that there are no safety risks; regardless of whether this standard applies to
your device or not.
That said, you may agree with the standard that a device outside the scope of
A12 does not present a safety risk.

As ever, the Directives are more important than the standards.

Michael.

Michael Derby
Regulatory Engineer
ACB Europe