Startup needs a little help in working with multiple input circuits for their
non patient contact equipment. Medical laboratory is probably more the point of
the equipment. They have been through development cycles a time or two, but are
now looking at the need to switch between 120/240 for about 3.3 kw systems.

They are building medical instruments - computers looking at cells (so nothing
touching a patient directly).  I've been through the product dev. cycle a few
times now which is to say - I'm pretty sure what's needed for most
implementations to pass the UL type safety issues.

The system we're working on now is a little complex because it has the
potential to need a lot of power from the wall.  That means probably 220 power,
but in many uses it doesn't need that much and we'd like to have the option to
use 110V power.  However, at 110V it may require two separate wall circuits.
We would like to discuss our options with someone about configuration of the
power entry and what we can and cannot do from a regulatory/safety standpoint.
We want the system to have a single switch - which could be many switches
remotely switched.

Picture a system built from other peoples products and much of it placed inside
a box with half a dozen different power supplies (wall wart supplies and PC
boxes) used to power the individual modules.  We want to make sure our AC power
splitting meets regulations and also how we build this to be configurable to 220

Gary McInturff
Reliability/Compliance Engineer

Esterline Interface Technologies

Featuring
ADVANCED INPUT, GAMESMAN, LRE MEDICAL, and MEMTRON  products

600 W. Wilbur Avenue
Coeur d'Alene, ID  83815-9496
Toll Free: 800-444-5923 X1XXX
Tel:  (208) 635-8