From: Douglas Powell [mailto:doug...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, March 6, 2015 10:03 AM
To: EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [PSES] Safety standards versus safety engineering

Mike,

"...dismissal of identifiable risks..."

Isn't this the main problem with Risk Assessment in general.   The people
assigned to identify risks and catalog their risk values are almost always the
same ones who design and built the product. The same goes for FMEA, and PFMEA.
The assignment of risk values is very subjective, allowing those involved to
say "the chances of that happening are ____".  And the team agrees to set the
likelihood of occurrence very low.

I watched exactly this scenario occur in real life when through a chain of
events a 7,000 CFM cooling fan was activated while a worker had his hands in
the exhaust duct.   1) He should not have been working in there with power
applied, 2) Communications to the Xylinx fan controller had been established
through the company ethernet, 3) The default IP address of the controller had
not been changed, 4) The digital engineer was working on a similar proto board,
in another office building, with the same default IP address configured on his
board, 5) The proto board was connected to the same network, as is their usual
practice,  6) The digital engineer enabled the fan on his proto board and
simultaneously enabled the fan in the unit on the manufacturing floor to full
speed.

Risk Assessment said this was very unlikely event and the technician nearly
paid for it.   The mitigation was to simply reassign the IP address for every
circuit board on receipt at incoming inspection and to reinforce LOTO safety
procedures on the shop floor.

Oh, and by the way, this product was already fully certified to applicable
standards.

Thanks, - doug

Douglas Powell

Skype: doug.powell52